Monday, July 26, 2010

On the Road






For most of my life, when I would despair at not having the time or means to make art, my mother would tell me, "Anne, your life is a work of art."

"My LIFE?! UGH!!! At 23 or 28 or 32 it was frustrating to hear. I wanted the object, the masterpiece, the medium, the particular style. The thing true to my heart that also sold well. It was going to look and feel a particular way, I just had no idea what it was or how to make it.

It was frustrating to hear then, and is even still. But I'm beginning to see that there's something to it.
I may not have the time to draw and paint and write like I wish I did, but I can't help but live life.

I'm on a summer journey, a graduation gift, a bless and release, a curiosity, a preparation. A window between worlds. Illustrated through writing and photography, and sometimes drawing and painting too.
I'll send you a postcard from there.

1 comment:

Nancy LaTurner said...

"The thing true to my heart that also sold well." So it is - the artist's dream. Keep believing in the thing true to your heart so that your art continues to touch other hearts, even if sales are fickle and slow.