Sunday, September 14, 2008

Good fortune



Look what I got in my fortune cookie last night! I had to ask for a second cookie so I could take it home and draw it. It made me think about the strange thing that happens to many artists, I know I'm not alone in this. We tend to want to make art only when we're in the mood to do so, but when we do make art we want it to be "good". A soccer player would never expect to win if he didn't practice, just counting on his talent to emerge on the day of the game.

I think part of it comes from associating art making with feeling good. We don't want to make art when we're not in the mood for it, but when we're in the mood for it and what we make isn't "good", we feel miserable. That feeling makes us put it off again, and the roller coaster goes around and around. Doing this blog has helped me to see that the only way to improve is to practice, and the only way to practice is through force.

No comments: